Thursday, October 8, 2009

This text was definitely very interesting, it grabbed my attention as soon as I started reading it. I liked how I never knew it exactly what Sybil's intentions were or what was going to happen next in the story.

With the introduction of the concepts of insanity into the text, made things completely change, I found it interesting how they used insanity get Sybil's fortune after all else failed. Throughout the whole time Sybil was in the asylum, I never believed she actually insane or manic. Only for an instance in the story I did believe she was becoming insane. My theory behind all this is that the original plan was to have Guy marry Sybil, and once they were married he would go forth with the plan of placing Sybil in an asylum. This plot would get rid of Sibyl and leave the fortune all to him and his father. "You are as a curious woman, sir, and always make me tell you all I do and say, yet never tell me anything in return, except this business, which I hate, because my liberty is the price, and my poor cousin is kept in the dark. I'll tell her all, before I marry her, Father." (pg. 228) Here we can see a clue of what is going to happen, they after the price which her money and Sibyl will be left in the dark, meaning the asylum. After Sybil encounters her mother in the story, it convinced me once more that Sybil was not insane and was placed in the asylum so that her uncle could keep fortune that was "supposed to be his". The messages that her mother was giving her for her to get away as soon as possible which made it obvious that she too might have possibly been put there to be get rid of. "If you are not mad, you will be; suspect you were sent here to be made so;" "Read, destroy, but obey it. I implore you to leave this house before it is too late." (pg. 244) After reading the messages it can be inferred that her mother too was taken to the asylum. She is urging Sybil to leave before she does become insane, she is warning her that if she does not soon leave she will be soon. A Whisper in the Dark, does show a different mother/daughter relationship. For once compared to the other text a true bond can be seen between mother and daughter. Even thought the mother is not portrayed as being physically present, the relationship can be seen as a good relationship, she is looking out for the best of her daughter. She cares about her daughter and urges her to leave, by giving there hints of what to do. (pg. 243-244) Overall I enjoyed the suspense of this story that kept me wanting to read further on.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you pointed out that Sybil and her mother actually had a bond and relationship, even though neither of them knew it! The mother must have felt that maternal instinct that told her to tell whomever was living below her (Sybil) to escape before it was too late!

    ReplyDelete