Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Hidden Hand

After reading the Hidden Hand, we once again see a young little girl struggling through the hardships of life. In the Wide, Wide World we see young Ellen raised to grow up to quick for her age, she too had to live the rest of her life alone without the care of her parents. In the Lamplighter, we see Gerty a young unprivileged girl that struggles through her young life being treated bad by Nan Grant. In the Hidden text Capitola also has had to live her entire life without the care of her parents, she struggles surviving on her own in the streets trying to find jobs that suit her and that will provide some money in order to feed herself.(p.180, 185) As I finished reading the text and with the discussion that we had in class I was able to make several comparisons and inferences between the three girls presented in these text. One major thing that I can see in all the text is the independence that the three girls demonstrate throughout the text. I say independence because I just can't imagine having to grow up living without the care and support of my parents, even though good people did come into the lives of the girls it is just difficult imagining having to grow up so young, they very independent girls who know how to take care of themselves, in the Wide, Wide World we see Ellen learn how to sew, do toast and do all the chores for her ill mother. In the Lamplighter we see poor Gerty defend herself and stand up for herself whenever she knocks Nan Grant out by hitting her in the head. (pg. 92-93).

Another thing that has been brought up in these texts were the innocence of children. We see this in the Hidden Hand, when Capitola dresses herself as a boy in order to get a job and survive out in the street. I consider this as innocence displayed by Capitola because she meant no harm to anybody in doing so. (pg. 185) As I mentioned before even though the three girls at one point in their life they were left without a mother or father, they all were able to find a good old man who enters their life and makes changes that greatly impact their lives in many ways. (pg. 185) Capitola after living in the streets dressed as a boy is adopted by Old Hurricane.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you; it must be very difficult to grow up totally independent of your parents. Ellen is kind of a special case though because she had regular meals and shelter while Gerty and Capitola were not so fortunate. I also agree that although they supported themselves, they were always looking for someone to come and save them. We leave it up to the older man to save the day. It's just like a fairytale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the presence of childhood innocence is obvious in the three texts, but the independence aspect isn't uniform. Ellen doesn't have an independent bone in her body. She relies on her mother's opion for everything. Her mother didn't care for her first Bible choice, so Ellen decides on another. She grew up fast because her mother is sick, but she is still quit dependent.

    ReplyDelete