The idea of slavery does complicate the ideas and theories that we have spoken about but I also feel that slavery even though not good, it did bring forth many changes towards society. I believe that this was written to teach the readers about slavery and give a different perspective of it. This made the readers view slavery in a whole different way that it helped in teaching children of the wrongs of slavery, and how they too are human and deserve to be treated equally. I can also see how the character of Uncle Tom can be seen as a role model. Even though he was a slave he can be appreciated as nice man, who wanted the best for all, he did not envy anyone and forgave all who would do wrong to him. (pg. 110). His beliefs and Christian way of living serve as example of how to be good people and wish no harm to no others.
I think that there was a big difference in between the Wide, Wide World and Uncle Tom's Cabin, but I think that even though it did use the horrors of slavery, it helped the reader understand that sometimes things are not perfect and humans do have defects and make mistakes. I think that through the use of slavery it can serve as an example of how immoral an unethical it is to discriminate or treat others bad. I believe that it help bring many changes to society and help people change their old ways and grow as better people. We can see an example of this whenever Mrs. Bird states to Mr. Bird, "You ought to be ashamed, John! Poor homeless, houseless creatures. It's a shameful abominable law, and I'll break it for one, the first I get a chance." (pg. 144) I believe that through Mrs. Birds character many of the readers were able to see the importance of helping out the slaves and it also allowed them to see that women from a different perspective too, it gave courage and faith that they too can stand up for their rights and up to their husbands and say what they feel and believe in.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really liked that you pointed out that Stowe's message to her readers was to teach us about the evils of slavery. I also liked that you addressed that even though slavery was completely unethical, it caused a revolution.
ReplyDeleteYou had really good points! I like your idea how Uncle Tom was a role model that was someone children were supposed to look up to in the novel. Enjoyed reading it ,good work!
ReplyDelete